Sunday, August 4, 2013

Revlon Colorstay : Liquid vs Whipped

Today I figured I would post about 2 drugstore foundations that I absolutely love. Both of these are must-haves in my makeup stash and I always have them around! Even though they are both great picks, I figured I would do a little comparison to hopefully help some of you decide which is best for you.

If you would like to see what Revlon has to say about these foundations, you can find more information here:
http://www.revlon.com/Revlon-Home/Products/Face/Foundation.aspx
 
My opinions on these foundations are below.



Colorstay Liquid: I've seen this range from around $10-$13 depending where you buy it.
   There are 2 different formulas for the original Colorstay foundation: Normal to Dry Skin, and Combination to Oily Skin. I have dry skin, so I use the one for my skin type and I love it. Although I haven't used the combination/oily formula, I have done a lot of research on it and it is said to be just as great! Revlon Colorstay has a slightly thick, liquidy consistency... But not too liquidy! It can dry kind of fast, so you may want to apply it a little faster than a normal foundation. I would recommend applying it to one section of your face, blending, then repeat on the next section, but you can apply it however you feel is best for you! This foundation has amazing coverage & a matte finish.. It is medium-to-full coverage depending on how you apply it & it's buildable. So if you want medium coverage, apply one layer. If you prefer full coverage like I do, add another light layer to the areas you need more coverage. This foundation claims to last for 24 hours, but I would never want to wear makeup for that long! So as far as staying power goes for me, this lasts me from the time I put it on, to the time I'm ready to take my makeup off at the end of the day, which is usually 10-12 hours. That's pretty great in my opinion. It will definitely last you through the work day & longer! Now since it is summer time, you may be wondering how it holds up in heat.. It is amazing! You can actually sweat right through it instead of sweating it off! You don't have to set it with a powder, but you can if you want to (this goes for both formulations). The combo/oily skin formula's staying power is just as great. 


Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup: Ranges from around $11-$15. A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion! This foundation has such a unique texture.. The name describes it perfectly -it literally feels like whipped cream! What I find interesting about the texture is, you can dip your fingers right into the product, close the lid, then look at it an hour later & it will look like you've never touched it! It is very thick!.. So thick that you can hold it upside-down when it's open & it will not spill at all! However, it's much more lightweight on the skin than the liquid Colorstay, but the coverage is just as amazing.. Which is why I prefer this one in the summer time & reach for it more often than the liquid when it's hot! When applied, it feels silky smooth. I've found that the best way to apply this is with your fingers, just like Revlon recommends. I have tried brushes & a beauty blender.. But this foundation just doesn't blend very well with anything other than your hands! If your like me & don't really like applying foundations with your fingers, this may not be for you, but I find that the overall result is well worth getting my hands a little messy!! That is the only downside I have about it! This foundation claims to wear for 24 hrs as well.. Like I said, I wouldn't know if that's exactly true but I do know that it does last at least 10-12 hours on my dry skin & also has a matte finish.

Overall, I really love both of these foundations & don't think I could choose one over the other.. But if I could only have one at a time, I would use Colorstay Liquid in the fall/winter & the Whipped in the spring/summer! Both of these foundations would be good for any skin type.. It's all about what you prefer! 

I hope this helped some of you. If you have any questions or if I missed something that you want to know about please comment below. I would love to hear your thoughts & opinions. Follow my blog for more product reviews/comparisons & much more. Comment if you have any suggestions on what I should post about next! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I am faced with the dilemma of whether I should carry on using the whipped crème or if I should go for the liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review. I haven't found my color match with the Colorstay for dry skin range (I think they need more colors! :-D) so I mix it. Revlon Colorstay combination / oily skin & Revlon Colorstay, dry skin...unfortunately, both are actually not made for my skin, since I have super dry skin around my eyes and cheeks but it's one of THE BEST covering foundations - I suffer from hyperpigmentation (melasma) and this is the only foundation that actually covers it really nicely, without me having to add ANY other concealer!!!! I suppose if I would, it would end up looking cakey, since the coverage of Revlon Colorstay is already quite heavy. In any case, I have been thinking about trying whipped cream but I have been reading mixed reviews. Some love it, some say it's actually not that great. Revlon Colorstay is cheap and effective. It stays on your face for a really long time but one needs to remember that each persons skin reacts differently. Even though I have a dry skin, it only looks good for about 5 hours and then it starts looking a little worn (even though I have dry skin). I think that it's like this with every foundation though, so you can't expect miracles unless your skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. :-P Long story short, I love Revlon Colorstay.

    ReplyDelete